Tuesday 3 December 2013

OUAN405 - Process & Production: Hayao Miyazaki's "Princess Mononoke" (Animation Technique)

OUAN405 - Process & Production:

After spending my day off watching Japanese documentaries about Japanese animation, animation techniques, styles and methods, I came across a short clip of Miyazaki's Princess Mononoke. Not only did this catch my eye instantly as I found it relevant to my upcoming animation about the Classical Elements, I loved the way he animated this particular scene (I love the way he animates all of his films!) and simply had to blog about it immediately!

Below is where I found this short clip. A video from YouTube from Jonathan Ross's 2002 "Japanorama" (Season 1, Episode 2, Part 3) showed a scene where the character is blowing what seems to be leaves or petals out of her hand. This is a side view shot and demonstrates the rule of thirds nicely as your eye is drawn to the left hand side of the screen.

This is shown at time 7:38 of the video below and I am particularly fond of the shot, pace of the animation and secondary animation of the hair and clothes as the character blows the petals against the wind. It is very lifelike and I hope to use a similar shot, staging and pace in my own animation. I will not be using secondary action like Miyazaki has done however as my animation will be set in space, a vacuum, where no wind could possibly exist!


No comments:

Post a Comment