Friday 17 January 2014

OUAN405 - Process & Production: Snow White and the Seven Dwarves

OUAN405 - Process & Production:

Considered the first full-length animated feature film, Snow White was definitely a film that in my family, simply everyone had watched. Disney made this a huge success with its release in 1937. It was created by Walt Disney Production and actually released by RKO Radio Pictures and was based on the traditional German fairytale by Brothers Grimm (weren't most of Disney's most popular films based on Grimm fairytales?).

In my humble opinion, whenever I ask children in my family from this generation what they immediately think of when I mention say, Snow White or Cinderella, they always give me the same old comeback: Disney's films. Now, although this annoys me as this is never my immediate reaction, the Grimm Brothers did it first and will always be in my eyes the best versions, Disney obviously did something right to be able to drill this response into the minds of the young generations later. Yes, Snow White appeals to children due to its singing, dancing and usual Disney chirpiness and creates an adaption of an otherwise rather gruesome and terrifying tale into a child-friendly version that is certain to bring in money...

Due to its popularity, it was often re-released in cinemas and theatres on a regular basis as it's just one of those that every child has to have seen in their lifetime whether they like it or not! I remember going to the cinema to see this when I was very little and although I never really was a huge Disney fanatic, I'd been there, seen it, done it... (And luckily never got the T-shirt!)

This to me is a huge milestone in the development of modern animation as we know it, and although I'm not a raging fan of anything Disney, it was a great creation and the height of technology at the time and turned over a whopping $8 million!


No comments:

Post a Comment