Thursday 3 April 2014

OUAN406: A Tale in The Sting: Background Reference E4

OUAN406 - Background Reference:

In order to create the most authentic and stylised-looking background for my E4 ident, I had to look very closely at other anime that had a similar cutesy theme to mine. I noticed very quickly that there was lots of running shots just like my ident featuring city skylines and tall buildings that resembled those of Tokyo or New York. The building usually featured pastel colours and light greys, muted tones and very subtle shades to fit with the romantic, cute and girly theme. I watched scenes from Tokyo Mew Mew, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Senpai Club to name a few to see how their use of background set the scene and atmosphere.

After having a good idea of what I wanted to create for my two backgrounds that would interchange a few times during the animation, I set out on a journey to find some tutorials. Then I found this:




This brilliant tutorial allowed me to create a very similar skyline effect but in a style representative of E4. I started out just as shown, with outlines of buildings, slowly filling them in and eventually finishing the foreground buildings of my background (if that makes sense!?) which then allowed me to create the buildings behind the ones just made so that I could create a parallax effect when my character ran, which is also used very often in anime.

The pink sparkly background was created following a series of online tutorials on how to create a sparkle effect, how to create anime-style shimmers and glows and so forth. I do not have the exact links for these, but mostly, I created this from my mind bearing in mind all the anime clips I had watched previously.



To create the sparkly background of which an anime character's face is usually shown with a close up shot in these situations, I used a royalty free texture from Lost and Taken, a site that a fellow third year friend showed me. I used this as an overlay. Here is the original file called "bokeh".



No comments:

Post a Comment