Friday 1 January 2016

OUAN603 - Extended Practice: Initial Ideas Mood Board (Rationale)

OUAN603 - Extended Practice:

Intial Ideas Mood Board

(Click the title of the board, shown in grey, to view the full board)

Follow Groose's board Extended Practice - History of Art on Pinterest.

After gathering useful photographs of the artists I initially thought I'd be drawing, studying, and creating as puppets for my animation, along with some tutorials on caricature, interesting graphic design ideas for each movement, and some of the artists' works to really get a feel for each movement, I took the mood boards along to my next tutorial. It was after the feedback that we came to the decision that Pop Art wouldn't really be a successful and innovative movements to add to the animation. Whilst I was thinking purely about movements which featured artists with notorious faces, Andy Warhol, Van Gogh, Salvador Dali) the feedback I received was helpful in the sense that it would make more sense, especially educationally, to choose three movements that linked well with each other and connected in another way, in our case, the rebellion against the art of the time. This made much more sense rather than simply picking faces that stood out and not thinking about the wider purpose of the project - to educate on a consistent level.

So, after the useful feedback, it was decided that Impressionism should come first, followed by Surrealism, followed by Dadaism. With that kind of flow, it would help with keeping the audience's attention and allow the viewers to understand that there's a pattern going on. I then researched some of the most popular artists within Dadaism and of course thought instantly of Marcel Duchamp (of whom although is not directly linked with the Dada movement and is more of a Cubist by definition, started an avant-garde, nonsensical movement as a means of uprising after the war, which definitely falls into a Dada sort of theme!)

I discovered that Duchamp actually did have a very distinguishing face, so I was even more accepting of using him in my project as I knew he would be fun to draw and create, but would stand out and have striking features, making him more memorable from an educational standpoint - young people often remember information better visually, so having a memorable face will hopefully allow a large amount of my audience to retain the information better. Horrible Histories executes (no pun intended) this well!

No comments:

Post a Comment