Monday 25 January 2016

OUAN603 - Extended Practice: Statement of Intent

OUAN603 - Extended Practice:

Statement of Intent

As a means of finalising our ideas and committing to our chosen projects, we each filled out a statement of intent. This meant that whatever we had chosen to do, it was written as proof and there was no backing out or changing our plans. This was quite daunting as I have a terrible habit of getting bored with ideas so very easily. Commitment is a big thing and with something as unpredictable as my animation skills (things can quickly go from bad to worse!) it was an idea I had to be sure of.

After writing up and submitting, I could now be clear that my project was on its way and I could get on with the research and development stage confidently. I was unsure about where I stood as after the briefing in October, not much work has been done to further the project as Context of Practice got in the way massively and there was much panic about what needed to be done Extended-wise.

Our statement asked us if we were to be working with anybody or taking on any contributions for our projects. Although I am not working on anybody else's as of yet, (there may be some small input if anyone needs and asks for my help i.e research, contacting people on behalf of others, production-type work?) I have asked Rosy is she would kindly consider helping me out with a short title sequence as she is also working in After Effects and has a fantastic, punchy, graphic-design-type style that would really work with my target audience. Below is the email I sent her proposing a collaboration:

Hi Rosy,

You mentioned that you were taking on a couple of briefs for your Extended Practice regarding title sequences and I'd be really grateful if you could consider my animation for a title sequence please?

I'm working on a 3-5 minute educational graphic-design-stylised short about the History of Major Art Movements. I've chosen to create animations for Impressionism, Surrealism, and Dadaism, creating three puppet-like characters (one for each movement) that will narrate and talk about each respective art style. The target audience is high school students of around 13-18 years old, so bright colours, funky text, and anything fun will fit perfectly! I'm using After Effects for my animation and think your style is perfect and will look great with my piece. (I'm after that clean, 'graphicy' look that you're really good at!)

Personally, my animation will be a mix between the style of Horrible Histories, Little Big Planet (texturised, 2D shapes with bright colours), and Terry Gilliam's Monty Python works. My opening sequence aims to be very short, about 10-20 seconds long at most. I'm really keen on the old "Art Attack" opening too.  

I completely understand if you've taken a few on already and don't have enough time, so don't worry if you can't accept it. If you want any more info, let me know too. 

Cheers,

Grace :)

No comments:

Post a Comment