Saturday 23 January 2016

OUAN603 - Extended Practice: Research & Development

OUAN603 - Extended Practice:

Research & Development (a look into style)

After having a basic idea of what I wanted to do, I took out some books from the library on the different art movements I was going to use in my animation. I chose books on Impressionism, Surrealism, and Dadaism simply because I felt that they flowed nicely from one another and followed a similar theme of going against the grain and rebelling against popular art at the time. I did some research on whether or not these styles are still taught about in high school art classes, and found not surprisingly that nothing has changed subject-wise since I left school, which was incredibly handy as I could use my own experiences and those of people around me of a similar age to understand how art class was for them and what could be done to improve and make the lessons more interesting - of which inspired me to create a fun, educational animated short regarding major art movements. 

For a few weeks I have been thinking very much about style, and what I would like my animation to look and feel like. With my target audience being young adults, I wanted to focus heavily on aesthetic and the way in which I can make my piece look appealing whilst holding their attention. With younger teens, there has to be a lot more work involved in holding their attention, though not so much as primary school ages, so I had to bear in mind when choosing colours and any other details.

I've drawn inspiration quite heavily from Little Big Planet, as that came to mind when thinking of an engaging and fun style to accompany my piece. I was aiming for an After Effects-based look somewhere between Terry Gilliam's Monty Python works (think moving mouths in a very puppet-like motion) mixed with very 2D, flat-looking, heavily textured and brightly coloured pieces from LBP (Little Big Planet), with the feel and humour of Horrible Histories! I was very excited to bring these ideas to life, so I started out by creating some mood boards of possible "looks". I'm very interested in a faux cut-out animation, using After Effects to create subtle shadows on 2D textured shapes, and the puppet tool to create brilliant characters of which will narrate their corresponding art movement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment