Monday 10 February 2014

OUAN406: A Tale in The Sting: Informing Style (E4)

OUAN406: Informing Style:

For my E4 ident, I am very, very intent on using an anime (Moe) style for this ident. Anime is my preferred style yet I haven't had the chance to use it once in any of my previous projects. Considering this ident is for E4, what better place to use it than now? The exact style I wanted to aim for (anime is a very broad genre, it reaches way beyond the stereotypical style of schoolgirls and overly-large breasts) was moe. Moe is basically overly-cute, overly-cheesy and usually quite shallow in storyline as in between all the cheeky shots of panties and bras, there usually isn't much to look at as it's usually just a bunch of clumsy girls falling over and acting "cute".

I wanted to create a character with this personality as it would really work as a mic-take of the stereotypical Japanese popular culture. By making her a clumsy warrior, it would add humour and appeal. In terms of style, a mixture of Princess Robot Bubblegum from GTA IV, Sailor Moon, elements of Panty & Stocking With Garter Belt, Cardcaptor Sakura, Tokyo Mew Mew, Madoka Magica and Senpai Club.

Moe as a subgenre is the stereotypical anime style you see plastered all over Japanese billboards and subway posters, usually aimed at older men as a style as it's purely eyecandy and fanservice for seedy men who love looking at women that take the form of younger girls. "Lolicon" is very similar in style and morals. Here is an example of both Moe and Lolicon.


Found on silverparfait.blogspot.com
The idea of a cute girl with a weapon fighting off giant monsters is a very popular and overly-used storyline in Japan of which I want to use as a parody for my ident.

In terms of character personality, I was thinking of conforming to the "Lolicon" subgenre of anime, which is very similar to Moe in the sense of art style and narratives, as Lolicon anime usually features older girls with very young personalities, often relating to the clumsiness and cutesy-cutesy stereotype.

Note the incredibly cheesy opening title sequence, this is also a parody and one I hold close in terms of reference as I want achieve something similar to this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment