Tuesday 16 December 2014

OUAN504 - Character & Narrative: Modelling Props (The Basketball)

OUAN504 - Modelling Props:

This was incredibly difficult at first despite it being a mere basketball. The reason for this was that I didn't want to apply any more images onto my models as textures as I thought they were starting to look a little shabby and without decent knowledge of texture application, I decided that it was best to stick to good old Lambert and Blinn by applying simple shaders.

This meant that rather than creating a simple ball and making it orange with black lines, I had to create the grooves on the ball by using a few tools that I had never touched before. A useful tutorial on YouTube (below) was a great method of learning this new tool of which was not available on the toolbar so instead I had to manually type the name of the tool into the command bar to select it. This tool was the "Interactive Split Tool" which allowed me to get the grooves on the basketball into a rough position on the ball. After smoothing the ball, they fell into shape.


After finishing this model, I agreed it was by far the easiest I had made. Here is my finished product.



No comments:

Post a Comment