Sunday 28 December 2014

OUAN504 - Character & Narrative: Modelling Props (The Stars)

OUAN504 - Modelling Props:

For the very last scene of my animation, Moom is shown spinning around amongst falling stars whilst holding a T-pose. It is supposed to look like he is revelling in the falling stars and enjoying the fact that he is an "all star". I wanted to make the stars look very unrealistic and basic. I looked at many images of different types and shapes of stars and after playing a little "reference gaming", I stumbled upon some brilliant stars that would be very fitting for the animation.

In fact, I was playing the Playstation One game "Stuart Little" and saw the stars floating around in one of the bedrooms. They were bright, cheerful, very slightly 3D (the stars are only to be seen from the front view so making them too complex would be pointless), and had little shadow on them.

After creating a prism shape, I pulled in some of the vertices to give it the five-pointed star shape and puffed out some of the faces and vertices to give depth. I added some lighting to see how the light would fall and how the shadows would be cast and was very happy with results. I didn't want them too dramatic as it might detract the attention from Moom.







No comments:

Post a Comment