Monday 1 December 2014

OUAN504 - Character & Narrative: Sound Recording

OUAN504 - Sound Recording:

After finally taking the time to book out the sound recording booth, I spent a good hour or so practicing different variants of my lines in a range of accents to compare which ones worked best with the narrative. I recorded a good dozen takes and after listening to them all one by one and picking out the positives and negatives of each recording, I decided on my final choice for the sound.

I noticed that some of my recordings were incredibly fast-paced and I discovered that I needed to slow my voice down. By acting out the movement that Moom would make, I was able to slow my voice down a little bit and be a little more "theatrical" in my performance. I managed to get a little bit of emphasis into my voice and portray as much emotion as I could manage.

It's quite difficult to perform when you have all these wonderful ideas in your head that come out at a million miles an hour in a rather monotonous voice, not making any sense when you listen to them back and quite possibly all being in the wrong order. I much prefer typing to speaking as you can correct everything! Despite the harsh learning curve, I then edited the sound slightly as I wanted to achieve a very low-pitched voice to go with the terrible excuse for a Scottish accent.

I did this in Adobe Audition and only slightly lowered the pitch I then exported this as both an MP3 and WAV file so that I could use both in any instance. (WAV files are compatible with Maya which was the intention for recording in the first place.)


No comments:

Post a Comment