Sunday 28 December 2014

OUAN504 - Character & Narrative: Modelling Props (The Onion)

OUAN504 - Modelling Props:

Despite me thinking my modelling was alright for an amateur, this character in particular really threw me off guard. The onion, the character of which Moom is seen interacting with during the first scene or so wasn't exactly a demonstration of my "improving" Maya skillset. Not only did I find it hard to model, but texturing was unbelievably difficult!

The shape of the onion and the cute expression reminded me of a mob from an online game I played back in the day called Fiesta. The mob (group of monsters of which you played against) was a group of things called Slimes. I thought my onion vaguely resembled one of these. (Image below)


Or maybe even the Slimes from Dragon Quest?




I used a simple image of a licence-free onion found on Google to use for the texture as I wanted to show the streakiness of the onion's layers. I did try a simple Lambert texture and used a vague onion-like colour, but without the added detail of the onion skin and many layers underneath, it looked more like a brown excrement than an onion...

However, the face of the onion went better than expected and I still achieved the "gormlessly cute" and vacant look of which I was after. So despite the horrid onion shape (I watched many tutorials and studied other 3D onion models without prevail), I managed to model at least something. I may try again if I have time as I can't possibly make the same mistakes twice (hopefully).




No comments:

Post a Comment