Thursday 6 November 2014

OUAN503 - Responsive - Individual Practice: Study Task 1: What's The Problem?

OUAN503 - What's the Problem?

Taylor's of Harrogate

1) What problems can you spot?

I can spot the problem that the target audience might not be interested in customising their coffee if they do not like coffee in the first place. They may think that a product to enhance their coffee experience is useless to them as they have not been persuaded by coffee products before. There is also a market for coffee syrups already so this range would really have to stand out to be unique and successful.

2) What is the brief asking me to do?

Create a product that would encourage a younger audience to try Taylor's coffee. This could be a design for a product or an actual physical product.

3) What can I achieve? 

Given my skillset and current knowledge, a psychical product might be too difficult so a design would be suitable on its own. Within the time limit I will be able to test out a range of designs and them maybe narrow it down to three of four final outcomes.

4) What message is the brief trying to convey?

Sophistication, luxury, consumerism. Basically Taylor's want the target audience to buy a new product so that it hooks them into the coffee-drinking world and pumps them of their cash. They want to do this in a way that makes the audience feel worthy and exclusive and that the product ha been specifically made for them, enticing them to buy it.

5) What is the target audience?

18-25 year old demographic. Probably the student-type who enjoy a relatively positive social life but who wish to wind down after a long day of studying with friends and customise their coffee.

6) How is the message delivered?

The message is delivered in  way that seduces the audience into believing they're the sole reason for this product's creation, not the fact that money might be a huge part of it. The consumer of great importance, they must try this new innovative product.

7) Who will benefit from this? Myself or the company? Both?

Myself in terms of knowledge, experience, and learning new skills. The company will benefit hugely if they ever did miraculously use my work in some form or another as they would profit to a great extent and I would not gain a single penny to my name.

8) Can I foresee any problems?

I can see the problem of myself becoming bored with the project as I do happen to drift from one brief to another as longer briefs can be quite tedious. I can also see that my product design skills are not that great and a lot of research into labels, sizing and so forth will need to be thorough.

No comments:

Post a Comment