Monday 9 February 2015

OUAN505 - Applied Animation - Research/Pre-Production: Model Making

OUAN505 - Model Making:

After a long trek around Leeds for appropriate materials, I managed to gather everything I needed in order to create and start testing my models for the animation. I spoke to my partner's father regarding useful hints and tips when creating stop motion characters (as he runs an art store in my hometown, Harrogate, and also participates in modelling and animation professionally). Wayne, Nathan's father, spoke to me about how it would be best to try and keep the weight of my models down so that they would be easier to work with and would be more manoeuvrable when it came to animating.

I had a brilliant idea of using those plastic toy fruit and vegetables I used to play with when I was younger. I'm sure they would be cheap and easy to get hold of. After contacting a few mothers who might possibly have a few spares they could lend me, I had no luck. However one of the mothers did suggest looking in Home Bargains as they sold a huge pack of them for as little as £4! I grabbed a pack of these and began searching for modelling clay/plasticine. Wilkos' own brand was great quality and had a nice scent so wasn't difficult to work with. I picked up a few packs of these and was ready to start with the modelling.

In the design department, David was on his way to creating a few character designs for us to look through and choose. After deciding on finalised characters, we could then start properly modelling.

Once I got back home, I tested a sample of the modelling clay on one of my plastic fruits to see how heavy it was, the texture of it, and how well it stuck and moulded to the base fruit. Here are some photographs of my progress.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive