Saturday 21 March 2015

OUAN505 - Applied Animation - Production: MDF Staining

OUAN505 - MDF Staining:

As part of the MDF board process for our theatre, I decided to do some research into staining MDF board and how it would affect the wood and how exactly the lighting would be affected also. Our tutor told us that varnishing the wood would make the surface sticky when hot lights were shone on the surface which would be a pain to animate with. Also, large pools of light would show up as varnish is highly reflective and shiny.

Instead, I thought about staining the wood to simply change the texture and colour a little bit as I know you can get small sample pots for around two pounds at most paint shops and hardware departments. I looked up some videos on how to achieve this look of 'floorboards' that I was after to make it a more realistic stage.


The lady in this short clip demonstrates how easy it is to get a streaky effect simply by wiping with tissue to get a floorboard effect, I think by doing this, it would be more cost-effective and save on wallpaper paste and brushes and printing pictures of floorboards out to then paste onto the wood which was our first idea. However, if we were to paste images of floorboards on, from prior experience the paper would peel off under hot light and be effectively useless to us.

The lady in the film uses sponge brushes that can easily be found in kids' craft shops for about a pound for a set. I will pick some of these up with the varnish. I believe that it is less messy and means you can simply soak the sponges in hot water to use again. Varnish easily comes out if soaked whilst still tacky. Here is another research video that I watched to help with my choice:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive