Friday 17 October 2014

OUAN504 - Character & Narrative - Study Task 1 - Modelling Skills: Keep On Truckin'

OUAN504 - Keep Truckin':

As a first actual attempt at making a model in Maya as part of a module, we were asked to make a model of Mat's toy truck. I am thoroughly enjoying Maya so far and find it not as confusing as my previous failed attempts. Here are some in progress screenshots of my truck. I got a little bored of its appearance so added an exhaust pipe and a license plate... It'll probably look much more realistic soon (I'm hoping)!


Behold, Trevor the truck in all his untextured, poly glory! Polygons are relatively simple to use and work with and you can create some fantastic shapes from using fairly straightforward commands. I am looking forward to improving my skills greatly in the future.

I used the truck toy for reference as reference is always an important place to start otherwise you find yourself running into so many different problems! From then I slightly changed the truck's rear and added some form of plate on the front for the back to hang onto. It's looking a little better, but I think with some colour and texture it would look immensely better.


I find that using a four view screen is incredibly helpful as it allows me to align any odd shapes easily without worrying about them being slightly off centre or in the wrong place. I find that if you constantly use a single view when modelling, you may not see certain angles of your model and the height might be an issue or bits might stick out where they shouldn't. I'm really thankful for different perspective views as they prevent making silly mistakes.


Beep beep!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive