Thursday 6 March 2014

OUAN404 - Visual Language: Responding to Sound

OUAN404 - Analysing Sound:

After completing the sound tasks where I created five short animations of the sounds I had chosen to animate, draw and observe, I looked at a few animations that I considered to be a good use of sound. I looked at how they visualise sound and how it is represented, the form, shape and flow of it and how the space on the frame is used to show how big or small a sound is.

Firstly, I looked at an obviously popular example: Disney's Fantasia. I looked at this as although it is not as abstract as some of the other examples we have looked at in terms of what is shown on screen, I felt that what Disney had done was very creative in terms of how the characters responded to the sound. A live orchestra actually played along to this and really had to feel the music and be the music in order to play something spontaneous yet representative of the animation. The mood changed really well in the music, going from minor to major accordingly depending on the colours, textures, timing and expressions of the characters. Blues and darker, more muted tones in the animation often resulted in a very mellow, slow and dreary melody being played by the orchestra. Bright and chirpy and animation and colour resulted in the opposite in terms of music.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive