Tuesday 18 March 2014

OUAN404 - Visual Language, You Spin Me Right Round

OUAN404 - You Spin Me Right Round:

I came across this brief with a level head and good enough idea as to what the purpose of this activity was. Of course, I'm very keen on character design and thought it would be a suitable way to benefit my skills by trying to draw a very well loved doll of mine from a 360 degree perspective. Drawing twelve drawings was easy enough, but getting all the proportions right and making sure it spun smoothly without any obvious problems was quite a challenge. All in all, the entire thing took me around 6 hours. 4 hours was primarily spent drawing, 1 hour on photographing for reference just in case my doll moved a little bit (his body parts were detachable and the joints weren't very reliable as they slid around a lot), and the other final hour on editing in Potatoshop and getting the whole thing fixed and ready to go!

I made a couple of correctable mistakes when undertaking this task. The first was pivot point. In fact, a lot of struggled with this as some of our chosen objects had strange possible pivot points that could look natural. Any part of the doll could've been a pivot point, but I chose the head as his legs leaned slightly outwards making him look like he was riding one of those fairground rides with those swings that spin outwards! It didn't look too disturbing in comparison to the other mistake: big black marker pen lines! That always seems to get me and I need to learn not to do this in fits of panic! Whenever I feel a drawing doesn't look quite right or the lines aren't that thick or strong enough, I panic and go into overdrive creating the weirdest looking lines that probably has a thickness of 5/6 points. It's not attractive and looks silly. I would like to rectify that and get out of that habit in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive