Thursday 13 March 2014

OUAN404 - Visual Language: Set, Series, Sequence

OUAN404 - Set, Series, Sequence:

Much experimentation was done in my 32 images regarding media. I flitted backwards and forwards between what media I would use for my 12 image storyboard. Then I decided that coffee and tea on torn, burned paper would look amazing! I had a little play with the media to see if it was suitable for the story I was trying to tell. I settled on using to hairy-legged style of spider with lots of fuzz and hair texture. I wanted a cutesy look to my spiders without being too cartoony. I opted for a spider that had more that two eyes as this seemed logical and looked quite funny too!

The story was based in Victorian Britain in a gloomy London street lit by paraffin street lamps and surrounded by rats and all other forms of dirt and grime. The first scene took place outside a sewer grate where a little male spider resided in a soup can. I later found out that soup cans hadn't been invented until the 1900s, so I felt a little silly after creating this. However, I have learned that when creating something historical-based, you must do your research! I will know this in future and not make the same daft mistake!

Mr Spider is all alone in his little world of a soup can when he decides to climb out to find some food. Just by chance, a female spider falls from a nearby street lamp into the grate below where Mr Spider immediately tries to save her from falling to her death. They both become good friends and live together in the grate below. He is no longer alone, happy ending, cliché, whoop-de-doo. I wanted to convey that although spiders might be terrifying to people, they probably have intricate and complex lives just like us and deserve to live as much as any other human does. By adding an element of lovability into the story by making the spiders adorable and silly-looking, it might help humans relate a little more to the way they treat their eight-legged home inhabitants.

I then developed a short poem to narrate the storyboard. All in all, I am very proud of this piece of work and think it looks pretty interesting as the coffee and tea really gave it that Victorian, sepia feel to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive