Thursday 27 March 2014

OUAN406: A Tale in The Sting: The Next Step (Cbeebies)

OUAN406 - The Next Step:

After much debate over what background colours I should use when shooting the Cbeebies animation, I eventually decided to trawl to every nook and cranny in the haberdashery industry in terms of shops and possible places of which I could acquire some fuzzy felt! Eventually after much trekking, "umming and ahhing", weighing up which colours worked best, I decided to buy two shades of green that I felt would work with the animation.

I scrapped the idea of a dark green background as in contrast with the bright foreground colours that would make up the characters, I certainly couldn't (so I doubt young children would!) see the characters very well on a dark background as they sort of blended in a bit and didn't stand out as much. I played about on After Effects with backgrounds and tried putting my characters on different shades of green. Light, minty-coloured green was the best option as the characters weren't drowned by the brightness and saturation of the background, but weren't muted and dulled down because of it either in comparison to the darker shades. I also tried a lime-coloured green and quite liked this.

I hiked around Leeds in hope to find the right shades of green that I so badly sought after and eventually came across Samuel Taylor's just behind House of Frazer. It was perfect and so full of wonderful things that I ended up buying several other bits and bobs too... Oops. My first attempt at finding some felt was a disaster and caused my animation to be several days' worth of work behind as I thought logically at first and went to the Fashion department of college and patiently waited for the shop to open (of which took a while). They did not sell any felt... Despite being a Fashion and textiles shop. Never mind. CraftWise in the Merrion Centre seemed logical too, but upon walking there earlier this morning, I had discovered that it had in fact shut down! Brilliant!

Third time lucky and I bagged some felt! Now time to crack on with animating!
Below are the two shades of green that I went for. (At a rough guess!)
PANTONE
Sharp Green 13-0535 TCX 
PANTONE
Summer Green 14-0156 TPX 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive