Tuesday 18 March 2014

OUAN404 - Visual Language, Sketchbooks

OUAN404 - On The Importance of Sketchbooks:

As a rule of thumb, I try and give myself at least one hour a week to get down some drawings in my sketchbooks of ideas that have been building up in my mind that I simply need to release. Every day I see things that inspire, mostly in an emotional way, that I feel relate to me somehow. Due to this, I need to let out that emotion somehow and usually drawing and sketching helps to do that. Getting those emotions out in one big burst of work is cathartic and relieves tension for the next day to come. It's therapeutic and allows the mind some freedom to think of things outside of the workplace/college.

During the module, I have done many, many sketches of which have been influenced by plenty of things. I never usually draw when I'm angry I've discovered, as I cannot be calm and focus on the work, this needs to be released physically. When happy or sad however, drawing helps immensely to record that. I did this frequently as a child and was often called into the Headmaster's office to explain why I'd drawn something disturbing, now I look back at laugh that at the age of 6, I was just as strange and open minded then. So, less of the rambling, here are a few cathartic moments that relate specifically to me and have helped get me through the course of the year...

The doll was to indicate many of the fears and anxieties I'd had over the year, and although a bomb or a spider might not mean anything to the audience, nothing is really ever as it seems. To me, it's a completely different object. The struggles with money, family and death are all recorded somewhere in my work and they're usually really subtle. There's the struggle with workload and adjusting to a new life, learning life all over again and meeting new people. The happiness of having a new life, and the feeling of emptiness that came with it was also prominent. The feeling of caring for others when they needed it most. I feel that art shouldn't just be a pretty picture, it has to come from the heart and if you struggle to show emotion like myself, drawing gets that out of your system...






No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive