Thursday 13 March 2014

OUAN404 - Visual Language: Responding to Sound 2

OUAN404 - Analysing Sound:

Upon learning to draw sound, I looked at many different techniques and methods that could be used to actually get what I was hearing down onto the paper/computer. I found actually animating sound significantly easier than simply drawing still sound. I think this is because I imagined sound to be moving, even though it doesn't necessarily have to be animated to great lengths.

I watched this brilliant little animation called "Synaesthesia" by Nikko Hull on Vimeo. http://vimeo.com/36252713 I found this interesting as it was an account of a character's daily life living with synesthesia, a medical condition that affects the way you percieve sound. It is a blending of the senses and is often seen as "seeing sound", making it confusing at times to distinguish what you're seeing and what someone with this condition is seeing.

The character is portrayed in a range of situations; sitting in the park listening to dogs bark, babies cry and various other everyday noises. Cubes of yellow and red depict different noises. Their sizes change depending on the volume of the sound, and I wanted to portray how the size of a sound when draw relates to volume. All in all, it was very interesting to watch and gave me a few pointers on how synesthesia works and how it can be used to an advantage when creating drawings of sound and eventually animating them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive